- The New York Yankees are the World Champs of Baseball, beating the New York Giants, 4 games to 1.
- The Washington Redskins win the National Football League title, beating the Chicago Bears, 28-21.
- The first Cotton Bowl is played in Dallas, Texas.
- Byron Nelson won The Masters
- Ralph Guldahl took the US Open
- Henry Cotton was the British Open winner.
- Denny Shute won the PGA Championship
On the Women’s side, only two tournaments were considered worth mentioning, the Women’s Western Open, won by Betty Hicks and the Titleholders Championship, won by Patty Berg.
Wilbur Shaw won the Indianapolis 500 in a close race, just 2.16 seconds ahead of Ralph Hepburn. Shaw would later be credited with saving the Speedway by persuading Tony Hulman to buy the Brickyard after World War II from Eddie Rickenbacker.